Camera Bag

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Noah M

Camera Bag

Post by Noah M »

Pretty self explanatory. I'm in the market for one. I want it big enough to hold as long lens, as few other smaller lenses, and general accessories.

Things I'm looking for.

Brands to avoid, brands to consider.
Things to consider.
Aspects or selling points manufacturers promote that are over rated.
General advice.
Etcetera.

Thanks!
speedy

Re: Camera Bag

Post by speedy »

I have had a Lowpro flipside 400 for a few years and it has been great. Current contents of the main compartment are a 6D, canon 100-400, canon 16-35, canon 24-70, canon 100mm macro, 2 x Yongnuo 565ex speedlights, Canon 90ex speedlight, Manfrotto 330b flash bracket, 25mm of macro extention tubes. Things are a little tight these days and I would like to upgrade to a 500 flipside one day. The front pocket is full of bits and pieces and batteries. There are two drink bottle holders which I keep a first aid kit and hand santiser in one, small catchbags in the other.

It is a nice size Backpack and comfy on long walks even with as much stuff as I have. Even if you don't have as much gear as I do I would recommend it. This bag travels weekly with me averaging a 2000km of flight each week, as well as hundreds of kilometres of driving. It gets treated poorly but is still in good condition.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ryan
dthor68

Post by dthor68 »

I use the Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW and I love it. It is very similar to Speedy's Flipside 400. I guess the best advice I can give you is to stay with the popular brands, Lowepro or Tamrac. If you want to try a brand other than those make sure you pay attention to any bad reviews. However, I had bad luck with Tamrac Jazz, the velcro parted from the dividers.

One thing you do not want to do is machine wash any of these bags. My latest Pro Runner was waterproofed with Campdry before use. It works like Scotchgaurd. When I return home from a trip I clean with a damp washcloth or hose down and let air dry. The Campdry has also helped to keep bag from retaining sweat, so I highly advise treating. Also, if it is not big enough to hold EVERYTHING you need do not get it.

Derek
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Lookslike backpacks are in over shoulder bags or other things.. Seems like bigger is better too.

I saw this http://www.adorama.com/CABP200EG.html

Seems pretty cheap for "name" brand, though canon is not known for its backpacks :lol: But it also has great reviews, and is big enough to hold all of stuff, and then some.
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

captainjack0000 wrote:Seems like bigger is better too.
Not necessarily. If you're going to be carrying this thing for any length of time, (i.e. actually hiking with it), I'd suggest getting a backpack with an internal frame for anything more than just a body and and lens or two. Your back will appreciate it! F-stop bags are great and they've just come out with some new models so they have the older discontinued models discounted right now.
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

Things to consider: do you want a bag that just holds camera equipment or one that holds other hiking gear as well? The canon bag you linked to has little room is a good bag, but has limited room for other gear. I bought an expensive Lowepro that was similar and rarely used it because it was too bulky and had limited space for other gear. I have been using an F-Stop Loka for 4 years and wouldn't trade it for anything, but they are pricey. There are other manufacturers that make bags with plenty of space for non-camera gear as well. But if you just take some camera gear and water in the field, you may be fine with the canon bag or something with a similar design. I recommend trying to find video reviews online of any bag you are considering to see if the features suit your needs.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

My normal gear includes me and a camera. I don't ever use the camera strap either, I carry it by the grip, or in the case of a telephoto lense, I carry it by the tripod ring or the tripod. I normally don't even carry water. It gets hot in Florida, but I've never felt dehydrated from hiking a few miles. If it is that hot, it probably isn't wise to hike at all. Most of the herping done here is short hikes and road cruising. I'm really just looking for a bag that will hold all of my equipment together. Something I can put in the car and keep the dust off. Right now, I have a small camera bag that holds my camera and 2 small lenses. Other, larger lenses, are still packed away in the cases they came in (when I'm not using them). I just want to be able to condense everything down to a single location. I will of course still have the small bag, and that could be used for field excursions.

Some places however short the trip, warrant having the camera in a backpack. Hiking ravines looking for salamanders is tough when one hand is consumed by holding the camera. I backpack, even a larger one with a few items in it, would be nice for stream walking and whatnot.

I haven't made any purchases yet; I'm still deciding.
chrish

Post by chrish »

I have a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW. I have had it for at least 15 years, I don't remember how long? It has been all over the world, in the desert, in the rainforest, in pouring rain and everything I could throw at it. It has never failed me. I typically use it as my carry on bag when I travel as it fits under an airplane seat. I have really pushed the limits of stretching the seams and zippers, and the weight on the straps but it is as good as new (OK, maybe the foam is a bit flabbier than it was 15 years ago, but so am I :lol: ). I know there are a lot of new models with new features, but just a recommendation that you can't kill a lowepro bag.

I also have one of those sling bags as well. Word to the wise herper.....they are very comfortable, but they suck for herping. The problem is that any time you bend over while you have it on (like to flip a board, etc), the damn thing swings around to the front. Maybe some brands don't do that, but mine does so it spends all its time in the garage. I much prefer a small back pack, even through much of the time I only have it over one shoulder. And it has to fit under the seat of an airplane or I don't want it.
It gets hot in Florida, but I've never felt dehydrated from hiking a few miles. If it is that hot, it probably isn't wise to hike at all.
Word of warning. By the time you "feel dehydrated" you are in trouble. Hiking a few miles in the FL heat (or any heat) without drinking water is potentially dangerous. Just because it hasn't hurt you yet doesn't make it safe. I know because I used to feel the same way as you.
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Like speedy, I have the Lowepro Flipside AW 400. I love it, but you need to consider how much gear you'll be lugging around - the 400 holds quite a bit! I think you'll be able to find a video somewhere online regarding this bag. Also, as chrish mentioned, ALWAYS CARRY WATER. That one time you don't have it will be the time you really need it. Just my two cents...
Hadar

Post by Hadar »

I just got a new camera bag two weeks ago because my current bag doesn't carry water. I went with the Lowepro Flipside series. It doesn't come with a hydration pack so I still need to get that but for now I can put a water bottle in the water section. I've also used that portion of the bag for snacks and my field guide.

When I'm out I try to minimize what I carry but my favorite macro lens doesn't allow for too many scenery shots so I have to have at least two lenses. When I was looking for a bag, I wanted something easy to change lenses with (flipside serves as a great "changing table" as Matt would call it), ability to carry water without damaging my lenses (still need to try out the hydration pack), lightweight and small for maximum maneuvering in the field (I tend to climb trees, crawl through caves, wade in rivers, and scurry up rock faces and don't want a bag getting snagged because that could be dangerous for both myself and my gear). I've found the Flipside Sport to be light enough and breathable for me. As with most bags you can move around the inserts but I've found for me, the best set up is one body, four lenses, and my flash. My old bag is larger and I've going to hold onto in for the rest occasions but it doesn't breath well and I usually end up with a sweaty back when I use it.

I also have a holster camera bag if I know I'm only going to be using one lens and that works great as well because I can have a small day pack on for hiking or a large bag if I'm backpacking/camping. If I was traveling in a city I would probably use the holster bag because I find cities boring and not much to photograph there other than buildings and people.

Cheers, Heather
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

In regards to water, if I'm hiking off trail I take water. What I was referring to was local state parks with 1 mile trails. I don't normally takes water because because I know at any given moment I'm no more than a mile from my car, which will have water.

A good portion of herping here is cruising, and I often carry water in the car.

The Lowepro 400 is looking pretty good.