Help me choose a Camera! Thoughts on the 1D mark ii N?

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Lucas Basulto

Help me choose a Camera! Thoughts on the 1D mark ii N?

Post by Lucas Basulto »

Hey all I'm looking at getting a new DSLR and I'm seeing the 1d mark ii N for like $400 on amazon. Is there a reason for that? Would just like to get some feedback on this...I dont wanna buy an antique but I do want a good camera. I should also mention that I am between the 1D Mark ii N and the 50D.

Here is the link I am looking at for the 1D:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used

Thanks all!

Lucas
J-Miz

Re: Help me choose a Camera! Thoughts on the 1D mark ii N?

Post by J-Miz »

I've never owned a 1D MkIIn but I have owned its successor, which I still own (1D MkIII) as well as the 50D (sold). A lot depends on what you like to shoot. But for my use, I'd go with the 1D2n any day. There are two on amazon.com for $400; the second seems an awesome deal but the seller is untested, so buyer beware.

Why are you limiting your selection to these two cameras? Just curious. For $400 a 1D2n is very hard to beat in the canon world, unless you need the latest bells and whistles (video, high-res LCD, high-megapixels, etc). The 1D2n has excellent AF, weatherproofing/build, and nice IQ. The 50D's AF was terrible compared to my 1D3 for fast-moving subjects...
Lucas Basulto

Post by Lucas Basulto »

J-Miz wrote: Why are you limiting your selection to these two cameras? Just curious. For $400 a 1D2n is very hard to beat in the canon world, unless you need the latest bells and whistles (video, high-res LCD, high-megapixels, etc). The 1D2n has excellent AF, weatherproofing/build, and nice IQ. The 50D's AF was terrible compared to my 1D3 for fast-moving subjects...
They are the best I could find on a very limited budget. lol I only have about $800 to work with and I also wanted to pic up a 60mm Macro..SO regarding the megapixel thing..I know that is a touchy subject to some people but 8 MP's in the 1D vs the 15.1 or whatever it is in the 50D seems like a pretty big deal...I would be shooting mainly wildlife so telephoto and macro..

Thanks!
J-Miz

Post by J-Miz »

I myself would go with the 1DIIn.

If you are interested in the Canon 60mm macro, keep in mind it only works on APS-C bodies (like the 50D) as it is an EF-S lens. No worries, though...I would recommend the Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro (about $400 used) anyways.

Then I would save up my pennies for a nice telephoto lens (Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 gets my vote, but there are other options).

The only time megapixels mean much to me is when I need to crop heavily. With macro I doubt you'd be cropping much at all. With a telephoto, yes, but the 1D bodies AF with the Canon 1.4x teleconverter for slower lenses with a maximum aperture of f/5.6 while the 50D would need a maximum lens aperture of f/4 with the same teleconverter. So with the 400/5.6 lens I'd recommend, for example, you could slap on the teleconverter and get 560mm with center-point AF whereas on the 50D it would be manual focus only. At any rate, I think the pixel vs pixel image quality on the 1D2n would surely surpass that of the 50D.

But both are good cameras and I really don't think you could go wrong with either.
Lucas Basulto

Post by Lucas Basulto »

Thank you for the help! I A buddy of mine is selling me his 50D, 2 CF's, and possibly a lens for a good price so I think I'm gunna go with that! :thumb:

L