Adobe Lightroom (full version) on sale at B&H for $69

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chrish

Adobe Lightroom (full version) on sale at B&H for $69

Post by chrish »

Anyone else like me who hadn't upgraded to LR 5 (or didn't use LR yet :shock: ) might want to look at the sale that B&H is having.

You can get LR5 (boxed or download) for $69. That's actually cheaper than the upgrade or the educational version by a few dollars.

Here's the link

http://view.bhphotovideo.com/v/4QP4C8/Z ... WebVersion

and you have to enter the promo code listed there at checkout to get the discounted price.

Pretty good deal for great software, IMHO.

Don't know when it expires.
Soopaman

Re: Adobe Lightroom (full version) on sale at B&H for $69

Post by Soopaman »

I'll second the recommendation for it. If you were ever on the fence about buying Lightroom, this is a good buy. Great product and I'm not sure how I got along without it!

I've been able to save a lot of shots that would normally have gone to the trash after buying this software.
justinm

Post by justinm »

I've had every version up to this one, is there anything new? I've been a little disappointed from 2-3, but 4 was really an improvement. Is 5 that much better than 4?
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Is there a significant awesomeness factor for someone who uses Adobe Master Collection 5.5 tools for their purposes (and is very happy with it), which would make Lightroom a worthwhile purchase?
J-Miz

Post by J-Miz »

I know I asked this before, but I forget. I have CS4 which I use for editing (I shoot RAW and adjust WB, contrast, clone stuff out, etc). What does Lightroom have that CS4 doesn't?

And is this deal available in the boxed version? I for whatever reason prefer a physical copy as opposed to a download.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

J-Miz wrote:And is this deal available in the boxed version?
chrish wrote:You can get LR5 (boxed or download) for $69.

:P
chrish

Post by chrish »

J-Miz wrote:I know I asked this before, but I forget. I have CS4 which I use for editing (I shoot RAW and adjust WB, contrast, clone stuff out, etc). What does Lightroom have that CS4 doesn't?
Having used both PS and LR, I can say that LR is more focused on the needs of photographers whereas PS is more focused on the extra needs that artists have. For example, it isn't possible to layer multiple photos on top of each other or cut and paste pieces of different photos together in LR. You can't draw on photos in LR. But it will allow you to fine tune the exposure, crop, adjust color, clone regions of the photo to remove debris or dust, use layer masks, use gradual filters, etc.. It is also much more intuitive to use, IMHO.

LR also incorporates the photo organization aspects of Adobe Bridge directly into the program.

If you haven't ever used it, download a free trial and give it a run. I have both Photoshop (CS2) and LR and never use PS unless I have to "create" a photo out of several images or do something like that. I don't ever "miss" any of photoshop's extra features and I prefer LR's interface.

BTW - if you are a linux person, there is a pretty good lightroom clone out there called Darktable. I've only played with it but it seems to be pretty good. And you can't beat the price (= $0).
justinm wrote:I've had every version up to this one, is there anything new? I've been a little disappointed from 2-3, but 4 was really an improvement. Is 5 that much better than 4?
This is why I was waiting as well. Supposedly the radial gradient tool is pretty cool. I've heard 5 isn't as big a step as 4 was from 3, but it is still an improved program.
Actually, thinking about the history of LR, we are probably due for LR 6 in another year or so.
J-Miz

Post by J-Miz »

Thanks guys. I somehow missed the "boxed or download" part. I think I'll download that free trial copy and see what all the hub-bub is about!
chrish

Post by chrish »

justinm wrote:I've had every version up to this one, is there anything new? I've been a little disappointed from 2-3, but 4 was really an improvement. Is 5 that much better than 4?
Just playing with it a bit tonight I notice a couple of huge improvements..

The radial filter allows you to select and apply filters in a circular pattern which wasn't possible in LR before.

This allowed me to take this lousy shot from last weekend....

and improve it (slightly) in about 30 seconds of tweaking with the radial filter tool (just decresed the exposure to the area outside the filter). I tried in Photoshop CS2 first and it was a PITA -

Yeah, I know both shots still suck, but I prefer the second shot since the background is less horrible.

The other cool feature I have noticed so far is that you can feather the clone/heal tool which will make it less obtrusive when trying to clone that cigarette butt out of your in situ Bushmaster photo.
periglenes

Post by periglenes »

I tried to buy, and got an error message saying the code was already being used by another user. When I reload the link I get the same code number every time (ends in 2081). Do you all see different numbers? Is there a way to navigate to that link from the BHP home page, instead of clicking Chrish's "used" link?

I want to buy!

Frank
periglenes

Post by periglenes »

It looks like you have to be a subscriber to BH Photo's various e-mail lists to get a code. I've been a faithful customer for years but I unsubscribed last year in an effort to control spam. Looks like I disqualified myself. Rats!
chrish

Post by chrish »

Frank,

I don't believe you have to be a member of their email lists to buy this software. I don't get B&H emails? I do have a registered email address there but I have turned off their "email offers" so I don't get that spam.

I had a problem with their stupid download manager service. I couldn't get the software downloaded properly through them. I tried twice and it wouldn't download and the third time it said I had used all my available downloads.
However, the did send me my serial number when I purchased the software. So I just downloaded a free trial from Adobe.com and then entered the serial number I bought from B&H and everything works fine.

Chris
periglenes

Post by periglenes »

Glad that worked out, Chris. But I kept getting stonewalled by the error message that the code was already being used. I may try again, or just go through the process of buying via the education discount. Not as cheap, but still not a bad deal.

Frank
chrish

Post by chrish »

Frank,

I tried it on a different computer with a new login and had the same problem. The code is no longer valid.

I didn't get that link from B&H however, I got it from an email from a different photographer.

I would call/email B&H. I'm sure they will honor the deal. They are very reputable.

Chris
TravisK

Post by TravisK »

I just tried to order it over the phone and they said that only people that ordered specific items from them were sent promo codes for the $69 price. Shoot... They also said they would not honor the price unless I had purchased one their specifics items that qualified for the code in the first place. :(
chrish

Post by chrish »

TravisK wrote:I just tried to order it over the phone and they said that only people that ordered specific items from them were sent promo codes for the $69 price. Shoot... They also said they would not honor the price unless I had purchased one their specifics items that qualified for the code in the first place. :(
That's weird? I got it for$69 when I first posted this.

Maybe I used up the guy's code who sent it to me and it was never valid for anyone else? Strange, because I know he sent it to dozens of people. I guess I just got in first?
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

You could always try the failsafe code:

"I KNOW BRIAN HUBBS!!!"
chrish

Post by chrish »

chris_mcmartin wrote:You could always try the failsafe code:

"I KNOW BRIAN HUBBS!!!"
Usually I find it safer to deny knowing him!
TravisK

Post by TravisK »

chrish wrote:
chris_mcmartin wrote:You could always try the failsafe code:

"I KNOW BRIAN HUBBS!!!"
Usually I find it safer to deny knowing him!
:lol: :cry: :lol:
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

So I'm thinking about buying lightroom and I have been on the fence about it. I noticed theres a "Student and Teacher Edition" and it costs $80 as opposed to $120. It just so happens I am a student so I was thinking about taking advantage of this deal. My question: is the student/teacher edition the same as the normal edition or is it missing some features? Anyone bought this version?
The end user must use a digital camera or scanner to create a copy of his/her proof of eligibility. All documents must be clear, legible, and true to size. Acceptable formats include JPEG, GIF, BMP, TIF, and PDF. The file must be no larger than 3MB. Proof of eligibility shall be submitted in accordance with the instructions accompanying the Adobe Student and Teacher Edition Software Product.
Anyone know what the instructions accompanying the Student/teacher edition are? If im saving $40 ill jump through some hoops but im curious as to how it will work, i assume I send them the photo and they send me a product key to activate my copy?