Tablets while traveling, and transferring RAW images?

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

AndyO'Connor

Tablets while traveling, and transferring RAW images?

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Is there anyone that shoots in RAW that uses a tablet like an iPad, Windows Surface, or Android, and transfers images from their card via a card reader? I am thinking about the advantages of being able to empty a card and review images on a larger screen, and wondering if anyone does this as opposed to a laptop? I've found that some of the smaller cellular tablets I was considering either don't have any type of card reader or USB, OR can't handle RAW images. Some that I found that can are the Galaxy 10.1, Surface, etc. I'm just trying to get some real world perspective from herpers and photographers.
Antonsrkn

Re: Tablets while traveling, and transferring RAW images?

Post by Antonsrkn »

I was looking into this too but just found that tablets don't have enough memory to store many photos so the idea of emptying my memory card onto one went out the window and shortly thereafter I just abandoned the whole idea. Hope you have better luck.
chrish

Post by chrish »

I have a google nexus 7 and I have the app to view raw files and the connector to read my SD cards. But the big issue is memory.
The tablet is good for reviewing files, but I can only store about 8-12 gb of files on my tablet.

If you got one with more RAM you could certainly store more files.

Then again, 8-12 gb is enough for a day's shoot if you just wanted to clean off a card.

But a cheap netbook is better for this. They have card readers and most have 500Gb hard drives. And you can run lightroom or darktable on most of them.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Thanks guys!
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I had the same idea. This helps me out as well. Thanks!
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

I ended up getting an ASUS MeMO tab. It was free with a contract and only $5 a month on my employee discounted line with my cell phones. It only has a 16GB hard drive but a SD card could fix that. Anyways, I found a RAW file handling app, and I am going to get a USB cord with the appropriate male/female converter so I can plug in my card reader, that way I can view pictures on a 10 inch screen before I get home, and it does give me a little added memory to unload 1 card if I had to.

ADDED BONUS, it's android so I can put the MobileMapper and HERP apps and start uploading finds in the field.