problematic Nikon DSLR firmware update

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chrish

problematic Nikon DSLR firmware update

Post by chrish »

It seems that the latest firmware update from Nikon has had an added "feature" included.

Once you update your camera, 3rd party batteries that you may have been using no longer work. You can only use Nikon batteries which happen to be more expensive....hmmm....

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/12/09 ... -batteries?

Conspiracy theories abound, and the knee-jerk defensiveness of some Nikon owners and prodding by non-Nikon owners are making the Nikon forums interesting reading.

But seriously, if you are Nikon DSLR shooter who uses third party batteries, you might do a little research before updating your firmware.
Antonsrkn

Re: problematic Nikon DSLR firmware update

Post by Antonsrkn »

The batteries themselves I don't really care so much about, but the idea of them moving ahead to reduce compatibility with 3rd party lenses scares me! Hope it was an honest accident rather than them starting down this path. I think that if they made Nikon DSLRs solely compatible with Nikon accessories and equipment it would hurt them more than help them. Sure alot of people are already locked into Nikon with their equipment but I imagine it would scare away people away in the future and they would chip away at their customer base overtime.