Canon Speedlight Question

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Biker Dave

Canon Speedlight Question

Post by Biker Dave »

Which would be the better flash for herping in your opinion?
Speedlight 270EXII TTL,
320EXII TTL ,
or the 430EXII TTL?
Aaron Mills

Re: Canon Speedlight Question

Post by Aaron Mills »

430exii
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

If you are on a budget 430ex is ok, but I like the 430exii a lot more. The 580exii is my fav flash I have used or tested. Much faster recycle times than the 430exii
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Norman

Between the 580exii and the 430exii, what kind of difference in recycle time are you speaking about?

Dave
Nshepard

Post by Nshepard »

430EX is great. I've used the 430EXii and 580EXii and recycle times (using energizer lithiums) were minimlly faster than the 430EX. The main reason I like the 430EX is 1) cost, 2) latch for going into slave mode is so much faster to flip than the 430EXii, though the 430EXii has a better locking mechanism for attaching on the hot shoe. I got my 430EX in 2007 and I've beat the hell out of it, still preforms great. You really can't go wrong with 430EX, 430EXii, or the 580EXii. I also used the 550EX, got it for 100 bucks on ebay, a little slower recycle times but works well for the money.
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Biker Dave wrote:Norman

Between the 580exii and the 430exii, what kind of difference in recycle time are you speaking about?

Dave
Nshepard wrote:430EX is great. I've used the 430EXii and 580EXii and recycle times (using energizer lithiums) were minimlly faster than the 430EX.
On paper, difference is minimal and probably isn't worth the price. But the difference is worth it to me because I am impatient and I don't spend a great amount of time photographing one animal (there are a few exceptions).

The 580exii has a lot more power which I rarely use, but since I only use a fraction of its power (and the flash surface is larger)... it recycles fast enough to keep up with my 7d.

The 430ex or 430exii is great bang for the buck...as is the 580ex. I would say get any of those and save money for lenses. You need a macro lens if you haven't got one.... I remember you were looking for another 18-55mm. I would rather use pop-up flash with a macro lens.... than an 18-55mm with a speedlite. But we all have different goals with photography.
Aaron Mills

Post by Aaron Mills »

Norman D wrote: I would rather use pop-up flash with a macro lens.... than an 18-55mm with a speedlite. But we all have different goals with photography.
Agreed! I would look at the 60mm or 100mm if I were you. The 60mm is pretty cheap, and is an amazing lens!
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Im only running a T3i body so its not as advanced as the 7D or the others ...
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Biker Dave wrote:Im only running a T3i body so its not as advanced as the 7D or the others ...
I have seen awesome photos taken with the t3i - I have seen many photos with the Rebel series that look like they were taken with 5d mark full frame series DSLRs. Your photos will improve more with a lens. Get a macro lens! Any of them are great! After the macro, get a flash.
Kevin Price

Post by Kevin Price »

Dave,

I would go with the 430 EXII flash. It's bigger and bulkier than the other two you mentioned, but you gain a lot more flash. If all you shoot is small close-up shots, than the other two would be fine. But if you shoot larger animals at greater distance from the flash, or anything non herp related (such as car shows, family outings, people ...) the larger 4340 EXII is the much better choice. All of those flashes can be reduced in power, either automatically through ETTL or manually, but none of them can be increased from their max power output. This is important. If you are shooting an animal that you either cannot get close to, or don't want to get closer to, you have to have enough flash power to properly illuminate the animal. A large Tiger rattler at night for example. The larger the flash, the more light you have to work with. If it's the physical build of the flash that's a factor, such as the larger size of the 430 compared to the 270 when mounted in the hot shoe, remember you can always use an off camera flash cord, such as the OC-3 flash cord and hold the flash where you want it. At normal working distances when shooting herps, the larger size of the 430 would not be an issue (though it looks as if it would). I have a 430 EXII and almost every image I've shot with flash and posted on this forum has been shot with it, both on camera and off.

Others here have mentioned the 530 EXII. That is an excellent flash but it is also expensive and larger than the 430 EXII.

FYI- I don't know how soon you are looking to buy a flash, but Canon has discontinued the 530 EXII replacing it with the 600 EX-RT, and there is talk about the 430 EXII being replaced by an as-yet-named replacement flash by the end of the year. There may be some good deals on used 430 EXII's when the replacement comes out. The 530 EXII's are still expensive because many prefer it over the newer 600 EX-RT.

Hope this helps.
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

I believe Kevin means the 580exii...not 530
Kevin Price

Post by Kevin Price »

Whoops! Correct, thanks Norman.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Thanks for the info everyone.

I received a $300 gift card to B&H photo and video so that is why I was asking. Well that and the need for a better flash ... I do shoot more than herps.

New glass is on my list for next year (barring any unforeseen needs for large sums of cash).
justinm

Post by justinm »

The 430EXII is a good light for herping. You don't need the reach of the 580EX unless you're doing birds.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Order made!