Multiple flash set ups

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

MonarchzMan

Multiple flash set ups

Post by MonarchzMan »

I've got a 430 flash for my Canon 7D, and I am looking to get a second flash so that I can control my lighting a bit better for wider angle shots (e.g., herp in habitat). I've narrowed the second unit down to either another 430 or a 580. I know that the big advantage of having a 580 is that there is a bit more power and it can act as a master unit. But since my 7D can remotely trigger my flashes, is there any real point to getting a 580 over the 430? I mean, I envision my set up to at widest angle, maybe do some birds, but more likely snakes, so the flashes won't be set up up really far from the subject, so I don' know that added power will be necessary.

Thoughts? The 580 seems like the best of the best, but I don't know that the few differences are really justified by the cost.
Norman D

Re: Multiple flash set ups

Post by Norman D »

I used both, but I like the 580 more. The 430 provides enough power, but I like the controls of the 580. Also, I like to bounce flash off the ceiling and the 580 is better than the 430 at doing so. Also, the 580 recycles faster and I like "having" the extra power for nocturnal mammals that are farther away. I look on craigslist for used speedlites...usually 430exii are around 180-240 and the 580exii runs 300-400. I sold my 430exii for 200 and picked up the 580exii for 300. To me, it is worth the price difference

If you mostly do herp photography...the 430 is more than enough.

Or you could save lots of money and get some aftermarket flashes. Some may not have ETTL
justinm

Post by justinm »

I love my 430II, well loved it... It was broken last Fall after years of faithful service doing herp photos. Thanks for the tip about Craiglist Norman. I will look into getting a used unit, should be fine for as little as I actually do shoot.
Nshepard

Post by Nshepard »

Look into the Canon 550, packs more power than the 430 and can be used as a master. It lacks some of features that the 580 has but can be found ~150 on ebay used for mint condition units.
justinm

Post by justinm »

Ok that's even better I'll see if I can scoop one up. I love this part of the board.
kit fox

Post by kit fox »

One advantage of a brighter flash, is the ability to produce more diffused light. If you used a hot flash, and large umbrella / soft box, you can cover an extremely wide area.