Giant crocodile captured alive in Philippines

Press clippings from around the world.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Daryl Eby

Post by Daryl Eby »

http://news.yahoo.com/giant-crocodile-c ... 25838.html

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Villagers and veteran hunters have captured a one-ton saltwater crocodile which they plan to make the star of a planned ecotourism park in a southern Philippine town, an official said Monday.

Mayor Edwin Cox Elorde said dozens of villagers and experts ensnared the 21-foot (6.4-meter) male crocodile along a creek in Bunawan township in Agusan del Sur province after a three-week hunt. It could be one of the largest crocodiles to be captured alive in recent years, he said, quoting local crocodile experts.

Elorde said the crocodile killed a water buffalo in an attack witnessed by villagers last month and was also suspected of having attacked a fisherman who went missing in July.

He said he sought the help of experts at a crocodile farm in western Palawan province.

"We were nervous but it's our duty to deal with a threat to the villagers," Elorde told The Associated Press by telephone. "When I finally stood before it, I couldn't believe my eyes."

After initial sightings at a creek, the hunters set four traps, which the crocodile destroyed. They then used sturdier traps using steel cables, one of which finally caught the enormous reptile late Saturday, he said.

About 100 people had to pull the crocodile, which weighs about 2,370 pounds (1,075 kilograms), from the creek to a clearing where a crane lifted it into a truck, he said.

The crocodile was placed in a fenced cage in an area where the town plans to build an ecotourism park for species found in a vast marshland in Agusan, an impoverished region about 515 miles (830 kilometers) southeast of Manila, Elorde said.

"It will be the biggest star of the park," Elorde said, adding that villagers were happy that they would be able to turn the dangerous crocodile "from a threat into an asset."

Despite the catch, villagers remain wary because several crocodiles still roam the outskirts of the farming town of about 37,000 people.

They have been told to avoid venturing into marshy areas alone at night, Elorde said.
KingCam

Re: Giant crocodile captured alive in Philippines

Post by KingCam »

GODZILLA!!!!

That would be cool if they could use it to generate some revenue for their region. Hopefully it'll have a decent enclosure in the future. At least they didn't kill it.
crocdoc

Post by crocdoc »

Having watched some of the videos, I hope it survives the stress long enough to be re-released while still alive. Big crocs are surprisingly delicate when captured.
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Barry R

Post by Barry R »

There's supposedly a record of a 27ft C. porosus from the Philippines, circa 1890's. Who knows?
crocdoc

Post by crocdoc »

Most of those records are based on hearsay, without any evidence, much like the often quoted maximum length of 10m for green anacondas. My vague memory of the story concerning the 27 foot crocodile (if it's the same one I recall reading) had to do with it being shot and the body having 7 feet of tail hanging out beyond the 20 foot tent/croc trap/whatever-it-was. When the hunters returned to skin it, it was gone, presumably stunned rather than dead. It had never been measured.

Even this current crocodile, while clearly a large saltie, is not likely to be the claimed 6.4 metres. The weight of this animal, as quoted in the media, has been given to be in the range of 600kg to 1,075kg. The upper of these two weights is consistent with a 5.4m animal of normal build, whereas a 6.4m croc built like the one in the photographs would be around the 2,000kg mark. The images of the people next to it also suggest that it's more likely 5.4 than 6.4 m.
Brian Santos

Post by Brian Santos »

Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

I also heard that it died. They caught him a few months ago...
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

I vaguely remember a porosus like this one captured this year (2012) that was 6 meters measured using both techniques in the phillippines in the latest herp review. This may be it.
Brian Santos

Post by Brian Santos »

The Philippine government was planning to relocate Lolong (Name of the Crocodile) from Agusan province to Manila (Capital of the Philippines) but unfortunately Lolong died.
crocdoc

Post by crocdoc »

Sad indeed. I was wrong when I guessed that it wouldn't be anywhere near the acclaimed size, too, for it ended up measuring at 6.1m. I had a chat to Adam Britton before he flew to the Philippines for the official measurement. He was dubious, but optimistic, and jokingly referred to his measuring tape as 'The Truthinator'. It was suggested he actually write 'The Truthinator' in marker pen on it.