Man killed by Pet red tail Boa

Press clippings from around the world.

Moderator: Scott Waters

joconnor

Man killed by Pet red tail Boa

Post by joconnor »

Tragic story .Condolences to family and friends.This is the 1st time i have ever heard of a Red-tail Boa related fatality.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37621474?gt1=43001
Joe O'C
FunkyRes

Re: Man killed by Pet red tail Boa

Post by FunkyRes »

I think there was one in Colorado a few years back.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

Nope. The one in CO. was a burm (I lived up there at the time). Some smaller news papers called it a boa, but every picture they shot of the snake, it stayed a burmese,a nd if memory serves the Denver Post always ID'd it as such (my local Clear Creek Current, did not). The photos of this one show a nice boa though.
Damn shame.
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

I would never put a 9 foot constrictor around my neck, not even when competent assistance in the room. It's a shame he was not more cautious, a shame his friend didn't do everything possible to get the snake off him, and a shame he lost his life. There's no doubt in my mind that large constrictors will eventually be banned nationwide as this kind of thing continues to happen.
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

We may not be talking about the same event, but yeah, I know almost any large boid is often simply referred to as a boa constrictor.
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

When I say "large constrictors", I just mean large snakes that constrict their prey (burms, colombian boas, retics, etc).
MacAdder

Post by MacAdder »

I sympathies with the family of the victim but this will have bad consequences on the entire snake keeping fraternity.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Wow, thats a big boa. I'm used to seeing the 6 footers. What a horrible way to go. I'm sure these guys know how dangerous their pets are. The fascination is just not worth it, IMO.
b-Sol

Post by b-Sol »

That is pretty sad! My heart goes out to that family...

If they can ban salt in NY, there will be no problem banning these larger constrictors! Negligence will ruin it for all. The fact is these are wild animals. Just like the guy that got his neck chewed off by his trained show tiger in Vegas, there's no way to predict 100% what these animals will do! All it takes is 1 time and you could be badly hurt or dead.

It is very unfortunate though!
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

The fascination is well worth the one in several million odds, IMO :) My boa's probably in the 7-8' range *shrug*