Reptile & Amphibian Public Opinion Survey--2 WEEKS LEFT!

Press clippings from around the world.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chris_mcmartin

Reptile & Amphibian Public Opinion Survey--2 WEEKS LEFT!

Post by chris_mcmartin »

2017 Public Opinion Survey Invitation

SWCHR needs your help sharing this with friends, family, coworkers, agencies, organizations, Facebook groups, etc. now through February 15th, 2018:

SWCHR invites you to take the 2017 Reptile and Amphibian Public Opinion Survey. This survey is for everyone—both enthusiasts and people who don’t like reptiles and amphibians, so please encourage your friends and family worldwide to participate as well! It is entirely online, takes about 30 minutes, and can be accessed via http://www.southwesternherp.com/survey.html from November 15th through February 15th, 2018. Upon successful completion of the survey, you will receive a code to enter a drawing for a free reptile/amphibian field guide. The results of our 2015 and 2013 surveys can be downloaded from the same page on our site.

Founded in 2007, SWCHR is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting the education of members and the general public on the natural history, biology, taxonomy, conservation and preservation needs, field studies, and captive propagation of the herpetofauna found in the American Southwest.
http://www.facebook.com/SWCHR
[email protected]
regalringneck

Re: 2017 SWCHR Reptile & Amphibian Public Opinion Survey OPE

Post by regalringneck »

... aarrgghh & i wont be doing it again Chris, its too damn long, too many ?'s that dont need to be asked depending on previous answers, too many limited choices ... get some input developing the next one, ... but i applaud your continued hurculean efforts ... rxr ... oxo ...

regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

... well now ... since ewer too smart (or busy) to respond ... i humbly suggest you break your big ? into manageable segments ... like we did in algebra; factor the equation ... fundamentally one survey for the hardcore = we insignificant few (since american public policy only pays lip service to minorities) & 2 .. the general unwashed pube-lick ... which makes & enforces the rules for the aforementioned .. & trust me, those into wildlife/nature but not into herps need a 1 page survey ...max... & the average joe-sixpak (w/o any visible sixpack) remember we are dealing w/ the mean computing power of a fruit fly & a fruit fly that believes in santa claus ... sorry ... thats just how it is ... needs a 5 ? survey ... thusly 3 surveys minima ... again i admire you & Jimi's continued faith in "the process". I will be interested in your results & recommend you post a lynx to previous years analysis ... rxr ...

... edit .. and i lied .. as long as you are willing to pull the damn wagon ... i too will give it my best ... again kudoes 2 you : }
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

I apologize for not replying sooner. As you speculated, yes, I am pretty busy (but I'll also take your "smart" comment as well). :lol: I did solicit input on this year's iteration and received feedback in the testing phase, but there's always room for improvement.
regalringneck wrote: i humbly suggest you break your big ? into manageable segments ...
This is definitely something we're considering for next time. It's tough to capture ALL the information desired and yet condense it into fewer questions. Since you took (or plan to take) this year's survey you should notice it's "quicker" than the last one, since there are much fewer write-in questions. One potential drawback in splitting the different subtopics of the survey into separate surveys is that we lose the ability to filter/classify responses based on answers to questions in other sections. Will have to figure out the best way to do that.
trust me, those into wildlife/nature but not into herps need a 1 page survey ...max...
While not a 1 page survey, the questions presented to non-enthusiasts will be much fewer since question series presented are based on how other questions are answered. Obviously a person who says they don't keep reptiles or amphibians won't be shown most of the follow-on questions about keeping herps.
I will be interested in your results & recommend you post a lynx to previous years analysis ...
It's on the same page as the current survey link on the SWCHR website: http://www.southwesternherp.com/survey.html

Chris
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

indeed there are rarely ideal solutions, everythings a compromise but again megakudoes to you & your team for giving enough of a damn & then rising to actually do something! If you'd like assistance in synthesizing your results to a 1 page abstract for dissemination to the media / agencies & NGO's - foros ... i am willing to collaborate on that effort. rxr
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

regalringneck wrote:indeed there are rarely ideal solutions, everythings a compromise but again megakudoes to you & your team for giving enough of a damn & then rising to actually do something! If you'd like assistance in synthesizing your results to a 1 page abstract for dissemination to the media / agencies & NGO's - foros ... i am willing to collaborate on that effort. rxr
I may take you up on that offer...there are SO many ways the results can be sliced and diced, filtered, distilled, compiled, etc. that I can't think of them all (but usually do AFTER the report is finalized!). The data crunching will begin shortly after the survey closes in February.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Just under a month remaining on the survey window. If you haven't yet taken it, please do...and encourage your non-herper family and friends to do so as well!

http://www.southwesternherp.com/survey.html

Chris
chris_mcmartin

Re: Reptile & Amphibian Public Opinion Survey--2 WEEKS LEFT!

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Reminder: survey closes Feb 15th. If you've been meaning to take it but have been putting it off, now's the time!

http://www.southwesternherp.com/survey.html
Jimi

Re: Reptile & Amphibian Public Opinion Survey--2 WEEKS LEFT!

Post by Jimi »

aarrgghh & i wont be doing it again Chris, its too damn long
sorry Chris, +1 here

"aaaaarrrrgggghhh, matey"

also - I gotta check w/ someone about the regs article request, I'm not blowing you off, nor innocently forgetting