USF&W adds Retics, 3 more Anacondas as Injurious Wildlife

Press clippings from around the world.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Eimon

USF&W adds Retics, 3 more Anacondas as Injurious Wildlife

Post by Eimon »

Boa Constrictors just missed being included also.

http://www.fws.gov/news/ShowNews.cfm?ID ... DECD13395B
Rich in Reptiles

Re: USF&W adds Retics, 3 more Anacondas as Injurious Wildlif

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Black day for herpetoculture... :(
gbin

Post by gbin »

I suppose it is, RiR, but herpetoculturists really have no one but herpetoculturists to blame. An awful lot of these potentially(/demonstrably) injurious exotic animals have been released in places such the FL Everglades deliberately, some even with the hope that they would then become established. It's understandable to be upset that a few have spoiled things for everyone in the hobby, but what's more worth being upset about is that things have been and are being spoiled, indeed, and by no means just for people (let alone a very small subgroup of people). That's what earns an unhappy emoticon from me. :(

Gerry
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Herpetoculture does not consist of producing and selling baby and juvenile pythons alone.

Nothing will stop me from practicing herpetoculture, even if I am left only one species to keep and study. And if that is taken because of the ways of human affairs I will just paint them, or study more.
gbin

Post by gbin »

Kelly Mc wrote:Herpetoculture does not consist of producing and selling baby and juvenile pythons alone.
True enough, Kelly. What you wrote reminded me, too, that I should make it clear I have nothing whatsoever against herpetoculture in general and in fact have participated in it in the past. Indeed, I very much hope it continues as a diverse and widespread pursuit. I was just pointing out for the sake of any out there who think this is something that the government is doing to herpetoculturists that this isn't the case; this is something that herpetoculturists have done to herpetoculturists, and the government is just trying to make the best of a very bad situation.

Gerry