Giant boa "terrorizing" NJ lake...

Post by ncphinsfan13 »

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/07/11/ ... hopatcong/

Who knew boas could swim 25 mph? LOL

Be on lookout NE Chapter :P
Rothdigga

Re: Giant boa "terrorizing" NJ lake...

Post by Rothdigga »

Where oh where is Ice Cube when you need him. He's dealt with this before in fine fashion.
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

Sounds like the requirements for becoming an Animal Control officer probably include the ability to spell your name the same way three times in a row......
reptologist

Post by reptologist »

I live near the lake and have kayaked and fished there a few times. The lake is large and deep and the water temps would chill any tropical snake in a few minutes. I am embarrassed by the lies and conduct being spewed by these idiots.
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

I'll bet $100 there's no actual snake involved in this "story." Here are my theories:

1) Someone saw a Mink or River Otter and mistook it for a giant snake head, causing mass hysteria
2) Some drunk/drugged/deranged person imagined a big snake in the water, causing mass hysteria
3) Some kid(s) went around as a prank telling people to watch out for the giant boa, causing mass hysteria
4) That woman in the clip had a bet with her friend that she could get herself on the evening news
5) She's a loony
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

It almost reads like an Onion article. Even by regular news stories featuring herps standards, this one is pretty bad.
“What we’re afraid of is the animals, small dogs, cats, raccoons — and I would advise people not to put their baby in the lake,” said animal control Officer Dale Sloat. “A snake this size can probably swim about 25 miles an hour.”
I mean, really?
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

I'll bet $100 there's no actual snake involved in this "story." Here are my theories:

1) Someone saw a Mink or River Otter and mistook it for a giant snake head, causing mass hysteria
:thumb:

Otter makes perfect sense for the first sightings, with top of its back and long tail visible.
Subsequent sightings, after the hysteria has been cultured, can be thick water snakes, missing pets, more "authorities", etc.

Wildlife officer looks like he has been stricken with "volunteer tour guide disease" where, when asked a question in public, the temporary "authority" has to answer with something that makes him/her look like they actually know what they are talking about.

Onion
:lol: :lol: :thumb:
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

"and I would advise people not to put their baby in the lake"
made me laugh out loud. I wouldn't advise it anyway, since most babies can't swim.

Also, "pics or it didn't happen".
pete

Post by pete »

Officer Sloat probably learned quite a bit about large snakes from animal planet specials. 30 short minutes of misinformation can make even the slowest appear quick witted.

You all shouldn't be so dismissive about the danger here. I've watched a lot of TV lately and giant snakes are ruthless killers of all that oppose them. :roll: :roll:

My advice to the people of north New Jersey, PANIC!!!
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

My advice to the people of north New Jersey, PANIC!!!
But, Pete, the definition of PANIC is "living in north NJ"! :lol: :roll:
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Yeah and I don't think I'd wanna be a stray on Officer Sloats beat, period.

He seems like he might be kinda burnt out and ready to turn in his noose pole. Its not an age thing, its just somehow real easy to see him screaming sons o' b*s get the hell in there.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

The 25mph part was by far my favorite.
blacktara

Post by blacktara »

It is common knowledge that boas cannot swim faster than 1mph for every foot of body length. Therefore this vicious predators top swimming speed would be at most 20mph, which would mean that anyone with reasonably quick reflexes should be able to pull their baby out of the lake with a few seconds to spare
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

luv_the_smellof_musk

Post by luv_the_smellof_musk »

Amazing, now it's going to overwinter and start a feral population in NJ. The press really needs to set a higher standard for "reptile expert", especially in a state where the average person's experience with animals are a couple of trips to a zoo.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

The thot plickens!
You got that right, Mark.
Grab your popcorn. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out! :shock:

$$$ The faint odor of publicity stunt is wafting about. $$$

. The panic seems to be reaching a crescendo, and, as our politicos on both sides of the aisle have learned, financial gain can be had by scaring the hell out of people.
. The reptile “expert” releases the “truth” which he was alledgedly told to suppress.
. The Press must be competitive and makes money accentuating the drama with unproven “possibilities”. Each report makes things more ominous (it is now 16 feet long, the animal could be pregnant – If it finds a basement, it could survive the winter, etc.)
. The reptile “expert” is also an “expert” fund raiser for a no-kill shelter, and seems to be creative.
( http://www.commonsenseforanimals.org/do ... _1200.html )

The possibilities are enormous.
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

luv_the_smellof_musk wrote:the average person's experience with animals are a couple of trips to a zoo.
Or dachsund-sized rats at the loading docks......
luv_the_smellof_musk

Post by luv_the_smellof_musk »

I was on scene this morning. Turns out it's a cobra-anaconda hybrid. That's right folks, it's actually about 6o feet long, 6,000 lbs, highly venomous, and can swim at 60 mph. Now we must ban all corn snakes to save the state before it's too, only animal rights activists can save us now.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

gbin

Post by gbin »

BillMcGighan wrote:. The reptile “expert” is also an “expert” fund raiser for a no-kill shelter, and seems to be creative.
( http://www.commonsenseforanimals.org/do ... _1200.html )
That "expert" is trying to organize a lengthy coastal kayak trip "planned to raise awareness and funds" for an animal shelter, eh? I agree, Bill, it sounds to me as if that effort is meant simply to help support his recreational pursuit, and this green anaconda nonsense is meant to gain him (and perhaps his fund-raising effort) attention. If there is even a snake out there, I half wonder whether it came from him to begin with.

Hilarious story. Too bad a bunch of folks are going to be needlessly frightened by it.

Gerry
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

If there is even a snake out there, I half wonder whether it came from him to begin with.
Of course, Gerry, all we watchers can do is speculate (kind of like the 24 hour news talking heads) until real data comes in, but, like rare fire fighters occasionally setting fires to become heroes, it is certainly in the realm of possibility that this guy started it all. I'd like to think better of humanity, but ......

$$$$ maybe?

PETA/HSUS ideology?

????

Too bad a bunch of folks are going to be needlessly frightened by it.
This is sad. An example of the hysteria that can ensue was in the '50s, when a python escaped the Bronx Zoo in NYC.
My Grandmother was living in mortal fear, and kept my cousin and me in the living room, wouldn't let us play outside, until the "beast" was found.

She lived 30+ miles away in Paterson, NJ! :roll: :roll:
gbin

Post by gbin »

BillMcGighan wrote:...An example of the hysteria that can ensue was in the '50s, when a python escaped the Bronx Zoo in NYC.
My Grandmother was living in mortal fear, and kept my cousin and me in the living room, wouldn't let us play outside, until the "beast" was found.

She lived 30+ miles away in Paterson, NJ! :roll: :roll:
Well, if they can swim 25 mph, who knows how fast they can crawl on land, where they get better traction! :roll:

My grandmother simply refused to visit us if I had a snake anywhere in the house; kept me from keeping any for years, until she died.

Gerry
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Recent excerpts from two news reports:
Environmental Protection Department spokesman Larry Ragonese said state wildlife experts have found no scientific or biological evidence that an exotic snake is in the area. Ragonese said there are no signs of droppings or skin.
“We have not found any evidence of an exotic snake in Lake Hopatcong,” Ragonese told WCBS 880.
“The only calls we’ve gotten really have been from the media, I’ll be honest with you,” he added. “We have not gotten many calls from the lake community.”
Reptile expert Gerald Andrejcak says he has decided to give up the search for the anaconda he reported seeing in Lake Hopatcong nearly two weeks ago.
Andrejcak said he received a call on his personal cell phone from a blocked number Thursday evening, and that a man's voice told him to call off the search.
"It was a warning," Andrejcak said. "He said even if I caught the snake it would be put out that I planted the snake for a publicity stunt and I'd get charged with animal abandonment."
In New Jersey, a person convicted of abandoning an animal can face prison time, fines and community service.
Andrejcak said he didn't know who called him and that he didn't recognize the voice.
"If I had an inkling of who it was, I'd definitely say who it was," he said.
Andrejcak said he didn't want to "jeopardize" his personal responsibilities over the search for the snake.
"I've got a family, I've got a house, I've got pets, I've got stuff I've got to worry about," he said. "If I was a single guy with nothing to lose, I'd be like 'screw you' and just keep on going. But I've worked too damn hard for what I have to jeopardize it."
Andrejcak, who was not paid for his search efforts, has said he was first contacted about the snake by Hopatcong animal control officer Dale Sloat. Andrejcak — who works for nonprofit animal shelter Common Sense for Animals, and who Ragonese called a "so-called snake expert" — said descriptions he received of the snake and its behavior had led him to believe it was an anaconda.

Personally, I think they need to start their search again. I got pictures of the anaconda to show its real! :roll: :roll: :)

jonathan

Post by jonathan »

I once saw an incredible lake monster in a British Columbia lake. Unfortunately, my photo wasn't blurry enough:

BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is obviously the BC Nessie. :o :o