Moderator: Scott Waters

Tamara D. McConnell

Re: Teenager Shot Attempting to Kill Snake

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Sometimes karma works quickly. Idiots.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Uh oh Tamara thats a very un PC thing to say.. brace yourself cause people are supposed to put the suffering of people above the suffering of animals otherwise they get accused of being a peta. But i know what i like and what i dont like and i dont like them either. Maybe Karma aint as preoccupied with human beings as human beings think. Maybe Karma's a chameleon.
Tamara D. McConnell

Maybe Karma aint as preoccupied with human beings as human beings think.
Yeah, I don't think it's all about us. I think we're just a piece of the whole. And probably a lot less important than we like to think.

I hope the snake got away.
mwentz

Post by mwentz »

I would attribute this less to karma, and more to a lack of gun training.

here are a few things that went wrong

1. Kids thought that a gun was a solution to kill a snake. (there is greater chance of getting bit trying to kill a snake, than by pure accident)
2. Kids went to get gun from gun safe.
3. Safe was not locked, or the combination / key was available to children without supervision.
4. Gun was stored loaded.
5. Kids didn't know how to properly handle a gun, always assuming it was loaded.
6. At some point, the gun was pointed at the kid that got shot. (evidence is the kid has a bullet in him).

Or

1-B. Kids were playing with the gun, got shot, and tried to hide the behavior saying they saw a snake.
2 through 6 are the same.

If any of these things had been different, then nobody would have been shot.
(However, if the kids were playing with the gun, then there are a lot more chances for problems to arise).
I think it is very likely that the kids were "playing" with the gun.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Yeah I guess if they followed those steps they would have blown the snakes head off with no problem, and spent the rest of the afternoon just scoobadee doobidee.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I think its very likely they watch their father shoot rattlesnakes, all the time.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Mwentz i didnt mean to come off cavalier, it wasnt at heart direct to your comments, its just so wearing to hear about killing rattlesnakes, or people wanting to kill them, again and again. And yeah - in reference to your post, to think that a little lock, once again, could have prevented the whole thing.
Tamara D. McConnell

... its just so wearing to hear about killing rattlesnakes, or people wanting to kill them, again and again.
Yes, it is. It hurts my heart.
Some otherwise very nice women I know were talking about their friend who had been bitten on the foot by a pygmy rattler. The man was wearing flip flops while stomping the snake. The gals were discussing how expensive the bite was, how painful, etc. My response was, "Good. Maybe he'll leave the next one alone."
And the gals looked at me in utter horror, like how could I even say that. "Well," I said, "If he had left the animal alone, would this have happened to him?"
And I know they are convinced that I am just a real cretin now, but that's ok. I've long since lost any vestiges of sympathy for folks who go out of their way to harm animals.

Mwentz, it had not occurred to me that maybe there never was a snake, in the situation with the teenagers. Thanks for your interpretation.
mwentz

Post by mwentz »

Kelly Mc wrote:Mwentz i didnt mean to come off cavalier, it wasnt at heart direct to your comments, its just so wearing to hear about killing rattlesnakes, or people wanting to kill them, again and again. And yeah - in reference to your post, to think that a little lock, once again, could have prevented the whole thing.

No problem. I too get tired of hearing of the killing of rattlesnakes. And yes, a $5 lock would have stopped this whole thing.
Tamara D. McConnell wrote:
Mwentz, it had not occurred to me that maybe there never was a snake, in the situation with the teenagers. Thanks for your interpretation.
I watched the clip and read the article, and the first thing that came to mind was that they were "playing" with the gun. It happens a lot more than it should.
Never mind that it is almost always safer to just walk away from a snake than to mess with it. Even assuming that they could identify a rattlesnake vs a bull snake.

thanks.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

It does make sense Mwentz, teenagers will lie like the dickens for much smaller reasons. I know when I was 13, if I could get to a gun, a sword, a flamethrower etc, I wouldn't have been able to keep my hands off of it if I had the chance.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Having a gun
Trying to kill a snake

The combination of two things that people misleadingly believe makes a person safer, despite all evidence to the contrary.

(p.s. - I believe that there are plenty of good reasons to have a gun, and there are even good reasons to kill a snake. I just don't believe "makes me safer" is one of those reasons in either case.)