snake found in portland trailblazers locker room...ID?

Press clippings from around the world.

Moderator: Scott Waters

liucommajames

snake found in portland trailblazers locker room...ID?

Post by liucommajames »

herpseeker1978

Re: snake found in portland trailblazers locker room...ID?

Post by herpseeker1978 »

texas rat?
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I think it looks like a skinny amel corn. Purchased for the purpose.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

Great Plains or Southwestern Rat Snake.
KUJordan

Post by KUJordan »

If u read the tweet from the Blazers on ESPN it says "greeted by a rattlesnake." And the Blazers coach said its weird to have a "venomous" snake in the locker room...

They are as good at their identification of snakes as they are at playing basketball right now.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

I thought rat when I saw the photo as well. Perhaps it was identified as a rat snake and people misheard it as "rattlesnake".
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

The identity of the snake, and whether the snake wandered in displaced into the locker room, or whether it was put in a locker or duffel bag for a joke, and slipped out, we may never know, because they smashed it.

I cant stand the NFL either. Foam Hands more important than dogs being tortured.

I think all all organized sports teams should have to tithe part of their mega earnings to the environment of their geographic location, and other local charities. And not a lame token amount either.

People making ridiculous comments on how money hungry scientists are :roll:

While these guys get millions to play a childs game.
chrish

Post by chrish »

If it was a native snake, Great Plains Rat is a common snake in the city here and a reasonable contender....although looking at it again, it could be a Texas Rat juvie which are also common in buildings here.
yoloherper

Post by yoloherper »

because they smashed it
ESPN actually reported that one of the trainers caught it and it was released back into the wild.
-Elliot
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

yoloherper wrote:
because they smashed it
ESPN actually reported that one of the trainers caught it and it was released back into the wild.
-Elliot

Yeah? Well I read that it was smashed. If it wasnt why werent more pics taken of it besides that one instagram? I read it was smashed.

I dont know much about ESPN, other than it being an epic non stop pacifier for a sea of buffoons.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

Kelly Mc wrote:
yoloherper wrote:
because they smashed it
-Elliot

Yeah? Well I read that it was smashed. If it wasnt why werent more pics taken of it besides that one instagram? I read it was smashed.

I dont know much about ESPN, other than it being an epic non stop pacifier for a sea of buffoons.

That's some pretty sweeping judgements for a whole mess of people you don't know and know nothing about. I don't care about sports, but I have no presumptions about the people that do.
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

Kelly Mc wrote:I dont know much about ESPN, other than it being an epic non stop pacifier for a sea of buffoons.
Very nice. I hope your claim to intellectual superiority over millions of sports fans made you feel better. That's about as offensive a statement as I've recently read on these forums and was, in my opinion, completely uncalled for and inappropriate, particularly considering your admission that you "don't know much about ESPN".
gbin

Post by gbin »

Kelly Mc wrote:I cant stand the NFL either...
Kelly Mc wrote:I dont know much about ESPN, other than it being an epic non stop pacifier for a sea of buffoons.
I reckon as the old saying goes, there's simply no accounting for taste.

I'm an avid baseball fan - in fact I've always said that the one thing I would have given up my career as a scientist for was a career as a major league baseball player (I played third base, but unfortunately wasn't talented enough), but I love football, too. When my favorite baseball and football teams are on television and I can spare the time to watch them I definitely do so. Heck, I even avidly watched much of the many-hours-long NFL draft that just concluded, and then a bunch of ESPN commentary about how the draft went, as well. My interest in basketball is much more limited, pretty much to when the Gators are playing in the NCAA tournament. I've even been known to watch televised golf and poker from time to time, much to my wife's consternation.

I reckon there's really no point in criticizing for taste, either. If it helps you think better of us ESPN (and such) viewers, Kelly, just focus on the fact that at least we (most of us, anyway) aren't Honey Boo Boo fans... ;)

Gerry
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

I think it looks like a skinny amel corn.
If I had to put money down on such crappy pics, and based on the large white spaces, I agree. It looks like one of the early amel variations called, "candy cane corn". Google it for pics.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I want to apologize to any one I have offended with my poorly thought out, half baked comment that I made about sports - it was not meant in any way to insult individual fans of sports. I was thinking of it in a consumerism mega media way, which didnt come through at all, and I am sorry I said it at all.

I dont feel any kind of intellectual superiority over those whom enjoy organized sports - try as I might I cannot understand all of the aspects and details, which seem very complicated and mathematical to me, even of those sports that I have played before, for fun like most other people.

My girlfriend loves baseball, especially the Giants (she is born/raised SF) and gets MLB things sent to her email, a fact that, when I saw her going thru them shortly after we met, I found compelling because she is so girly, i would have never guessed.

I grew up watching boxing with my Dad, and always hearing the sound of football when he was home, which he watched constantly, and he was coolest guy I will ever have known.

But it was a very stupid remark I made, I see that, and Im sorry I made it.
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

Thanks, Kelly - apology accepted (on behalf of sports fans). That was a stand-up thing to do and I respect you taking the time. As I'm sure you're painfully aware, it's never a great idea to indict large groups of people based on their lifestyle (or anything else), whether it's their affinity for sports or something else.
gbin

Post by gbin »

Mark Brown wrote:Thanks, Kelly - apology accepted (on behalf of sports fans). That was a stand-up thing to do and I respect you taking the time. As I'm sure you're painfully aware, it's never a great idea to indict large groups of people based on their lifestyle (or anything else), whether it's their affinity for sports or something else.
Seconded. And I've heard my wife offer a similar rant a time or two when she's been particularly exasperated with my fondness for professional sports (I think she came close on Day 2 of the recent NFL draft, in fact ;) ) - she hasn't meant the way she's come off, either. Happens to all of us from time to time. Far more important than whether we've made a mistake is how we deal with it afterward.

Gerry