Moderator: Scott Waters

Daryl Eby

Gila Monster saliva reduces food cravings

Post by Daryl Eby »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... vings.html
The latest slimming pill? Gila monster saliva reduces food cravings

By Claire Bates

PUBLISHED: 06:38 EST, 16 May 2012 | UPDATED: 06:38 EST, 16 May 2012

A drug made from the saliva of a giant U.S lizard could be a surprising new addition to the weight-loss market.

Scientists found that a compound found naturally in the venomous Gila monsters was effective in reducing food cravings.

It is a surprising but potentially hugely beneficial side effect of exendin-4, which is used in a drug to treat diabetes. Scientists made the discovery when testing lab rats with the substance.

Further experiments by researchers at the University of Gothenburg found it controlled the same brain regions which lead to cravings for alcohol too, suggesting it could also aid those with drinking problems.

The Gila monster is the largest lizard in North America. Although it is venomous it is slow-moving and represents little threat to humans.

Unlike snakes, it does not inject poison through fangs but in its saliva as it chews on its prey.

Its properties are used in a drug called Exenatide which can help control the blood sugar levels in sufferers of type 2 diabetes.

But while experimenting on lab rats with exendin-4, it was found to reduce the animals' cravings for food, the researchers told the Journal of Neuroscience.

Study author Professor Karolina Skibicka said: 'This is both an unknown and quite unexpected effect.

'Our decision to eat is linked to the same mechanisms in the brain which control addictive behaviours.

'We have shown that exendin-4 affects the reward and motivation regions of the brain.'

The discovery could pave the way for a treatment for compulsive over-eaters.

Co-researcher Suzanne Dickson said: 'The implications of the findings are significant.
'Most dieting fails because we are obsessed with the desire to eat, especially tempting foods like sweets.

'As exendin-4 suppresses the cravings for food, it can help obese people to take control of their weight.'

They said further research was needed on the impact of the compound on alcohol cravings.
Follow the link to check out the comments. Some are entertaining.
soulsurvivor

Re: Gila Monster saliva reduces food cravings

Post by soulsurvivor »

Works just as well if you let one bite you.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Can't argue with results: food cravings were suppressed in 100% of fatal envenomations!
Don

Post by Don »

Has there even been a fatal Gila envenomation?
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Don wrote:Has there even been a fatal Gila envenomation?
Not that I've ever heard of, but you're ruining my joke. :lol: :thumb:
Denmeade

Post by Denmeade »

lol, at the joke... But this could potentially be very helpfully to people who have addictions and need help.
dery

Post by dery »

soulsurvivor wrote:Works just as well if you let one bite you.
sorry but idk if anyone's that stupid :lol: i'd rather just use the drug from the venom if i needed to loose weight.
dery

Post by dery »

chris_mcmartin wrote:Can't argue with results: food cravings were suppressed in 100% of fatal envenomations!
yeh but the maggots and fungai gain weight :lol:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I wonder if a lot of food would reduce my cravings to see a Gila? :crazyeyes: And I could afford to gain a few lbs too... EVERYONE tells me... You're not fat... it's all in your head... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: jim
dery

Post by dery »

hellihooks wrote:I wonder if a lot of food would reduce my cravings to see a Gila? :crazyeyes: And I could afford to gain a few lbs too... EVERYONE tells me... You're not fat... it's all in your head... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: jim
well, that's sortof what i think about every year when i visit my sister in maricorpa. but my odds increase every time. my fat is in half of my skull the brain in the other. that's why i have had things like a 20 mph fail on a trick deck and obtain no breaks fractures or sprains or a bite by an adult apalone spinifera and not feel it
Herpetologist115

Post by Herpetologist115 »

How do you milk a Gila For it's venom?
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Herpetologist115 wrote:How do you milk a Gila For it's venom?
From the middle two nipples.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I believe the gila chews on a sponge and then the saliva is wrung out of it... The Kentucky Reptile Zoo has a video of that procedure on Youtube.