Thailand and Komodo Recommendation?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Neil M

Thailand and Komodo Recommendation?

Post by Neil M »

Hey everyone!

My brother and I are planning a trip to Indonesia in Spring 2018 (March, April, maybe May). The trip will mainly involve free diving and rock climbing thailand and surfing bali. But I definitely want to add a herping trip in Thailand and a Komodo island excursion.

Does anyone have any recommendations for tours or how to go about herping Thailand and Komodo? Right now Ive been looking at TonTan Travel for thailand and Flores XP for Komodo. Anyone have knowledge or experience with those?

Any help is super appreciated and I will be sure to post finds here after the trip!

-Neil
Jazz

Re: Thailand and Komodo Recommendation?

Post by Jazz »

Get in touch with Ajis azis on facebook for Komodo.

You don't need a guide to herp Thailand. Just do some research on natural areas and national parks.
Naja Bungarus

Post by Naja Bungarus »

Hi.

Online research for herping in Thailand can turn out to be a success with a bit of luck, or a complete failure, unless it's a National park which they actually allow you to go at night. With TonTan you can't go wrong, just mention what species you want to find and he'll take you to the right spots to find them. He know some of the best general herping spots available and you won't waste your time searching for hours on the internet (you won't find his secret places there).

In any case, good luck herping in amazing Thailand with it's amazing herpetofauna. Plenty to find on the right places :beer:
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

For Komodo, fly into Labuan Bajo on Flores from Bali. Hour and a half flight I think. In town you can wander about and hire a liveaboard boat to go to the islands. I think we paid $500ish for 4 days, 3 nights for the entire boat. This included all meals. We brought our own beer and they provided ice and a cooler. They did what ever we wanted, so you can spend time on a smaller islands if you want. We visited both Komodo and Rinca, you need a NP guide on both of those. Beautiful scenery, great food in Labuan Bajo, great snorkeling/diving, and of course, the Komodo Dragons.
ImageDSC_0164 by curtisfrommichigan, on Flickr
Image20160105_102130 by curtisfrommichigan, on Flickr