NAHERP--Is There a Way to...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chris_mcmartin

NAHERP--Is There a Way to...

Post by chris_mcmartin »

...display (or other wise access) the overview map as a "snapshot" from a given date, rather than only the current one?
Don Becker

Re: NAHERP--Is There a Way to...

Post by Don Becker »

chris_mcmartin wrote:...display (or other wise access) the overview map as a "snapshot" from a given date, rather than only the current one?
I can probably make something if you need.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Don Becker wrote:
chris_mcmartin wrote:...display (or other wise access) the overview map as a "snapshot" from a given date, rather than only the current one?
I can probably make something if you need.
After clarification, I posted to the HERP board to keep the avenue of communication "pure." 8-) I added a little teaser of a rationale too.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I like that idea Chris .... it would be really cool if we could do it by species (but I imagine that would be dreamland though .... right Don?)

Dave
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

It's not a difficult thing to do. You just make it only use records on or before the date you specify, and for "age or records" calculations, make it do it on that date instead of the current date. For per species, we have those flash maps for those since generating the jpeg/png maps for every taxa would be pretty intensive on the server, but those could also easily be done to do at a fixed point in time.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

BTW, as SVG support becomes more common place, doing the taxon specific maps would probably be easier now if I just generate SVG instead of jpeg/png. Doing that would be really fast for each species, but you would have to convert the SVG to jpeg/png if you want. The most intensive part of the map generation now is the conversion of SVG to PNG for the large maps. The small ones go pretty fast.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

http://www.naherp.com/test/svg.html

That page should load two SVG maps that are generated in real time. The first one is the small image style, the other is the full size large one. Both allow for panning and zooming. The speed of which you can pan and zoom depends on your computer though, and the large one (the bottom), is much slower due to the extra detail. The flash maps that display the maps for species currently actually also had the problems with panning, which is why it drops to the blue low detail outline when panning it around.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

I only get one map and a message that says "Your browser does not support SVG." I am using google chrome. Does it just not work with chrome or do I need to download something?
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

If you saw one map, then your browser supports SVG just fine. It just didn't load the second map for some reason.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Don Becker wrote:It's not a difficult thing to do. You just make it only use records on or before the date you specify, and for "age or records" calculations, make it do it on that date instead of the current date. For per species, we have those flash maps for those since generating the jpeg/png maps for every taxa would be pretty intensive on the server, but those could also easily be done to do at a fixed point in time.
Is this something we end-users can do already? If so, I'm unsure where to begin the process.

If you saw one map, then your browser supports SVG just fine. It just didn't load the second map for some reason.
If in doubt, default to "operator error" as the reason. :lol:
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Oh, they both work now. The second map looks nice, but I cant get it to pan at all. Must be too large.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

chris_mcmartin wrote:Is this something we end-users can do already? If so, I'm unsure where to begin the process.
Nope, not something you can do yet. Was giving the different options of what system I could build it into. I could make it generate the small png maps in a decent enough speed I think, or use the flash maps like on the taxon page, or the SVG maps like the examples I showed. So, if you guys have some input on what you think is best, I could easily enough make a form that lets you pick a date or species, and map type, and have it generate the map you want in what ever is decided... if the HERP board is ok with that.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Perhaps we need to port this thread back over to the HERP discussion board so members can discuss and potentially vote, if voting is something that needs to be done.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I got two maps ....