Dumb question about GPS coordinates.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

bgorum

Dumb question about GPS coordinates.

Post by bgorum »

I use an app on my Iphone to geotag my photos and I then use those gps coordinates in the data base. Previously I've used Adobe Bridge to view the metadata in my photos and it would show me the coordinates like this- (Latitude 33,49.5593N, Longitude 106,53.058W). In the data base I would have to type this as- (n33 49.5593, w106 53.0580). Sometimes I would have to add 0's and I specified wgs84 in the pull-down menu. It was a PITA to change the formatting, but I got the right location on the map. I've since switched to using Lightroom. Lightroom gives me the data like this- (33°49'34" N, 106°53'3" W), for the same photo. I figured I would need to enter these like this, (n33 49.34, w106 53.30), but that gets me in the right general area, but not the exact spot. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help!
spinifer

Re: Dumb question about GPS coordinates.

Post by spinifer »

Dont use a decimal when you enter into the database

n33 49 34, w106 53 30 should work.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

It is absolutely not a dumb question...you are merely attempting to force a square peg into a round hole--in this case, a base-60 numerical format (degrees-minutes-seconds) into a combination of base-60 and base-10 (degrees-minutes-tenths of minutes).

Original thread with link to what will either be helpful, or more confusing:

http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... &hilit=gps

:P
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Thanks guys! They have to go in like this- (n33 49'34, w106 53'3). That gets me in the exact right spot. It would be nice if the database recognized the coordinates just as they appear in Lightroom. Then it would be a simple matter of copy and paste. Or better yet, what if the coordinates could be extracted from the metadata of the uploaded voucher shot automatically? Now that would be pretty slick!
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

I personally like decimals when it comes to GPS.. I have everything set to decimals, my GPS unit, google earth, etc.. You might have an option in you app itself to change it to decimals?

Also when you provide decimals, there isn't any confusion on the location you are providing..

Fundad
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

I've checked preferences on the app (Geotagphotos) and in Lightrooom and previously in Bridge and I cant find any way to change how the GPS coordinates are displayed. Maybe someone else who is more well versed in those programs/apps will know how.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

If you gives it to you in this format: 33°49'34" N, 106°53'3" W

You can enter it as
33 49 34N, 106 53 3W
or
33 49'34"N, 106 53'3"W

I just couldn't get the pattern matching to match a degree symbol for some reason, that's the only reason it doesn't support it.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Fundad wrote:Also when you provide decimals, there isn't any confusion on the location you are providing..
What do you mean--degrees and decimal degrees, or degrees-minutes-decimal minutes, or degrees-minutes-seconds-decimal seconds? I'm confused. :lol:

In case you're wondering why some people (like me) can more easily mentally conceptualize degrees and minutes--

One minute of latitude is 6,076 feet. What's the significance of this? It's one nautical mile, the standard unit of measure for seafaring folk, and for the past century or so, aeronautical types as well. It's where we get "knots" for measuring speed; e.g. a speed of 60 knots is 60 nautical miles--or one degree--per hour.

Notice I said one minute of LATITUDE. Lines of latitude are parallel to one another (hence the other name for them, "parallels") so the distance between them is constant worldwide. Contrast this with lines of longitude, which are roughly 6,076 feet apart only at the equator; they converge on one another (get closer together the further from the equator you get until they meet at the pole).

Those ancient mariners and cartographers were pretty smart cookies.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

I think the point was that when you type 12.3456 you just know that it's decimal degrees at a glance. If you type 12°34'56" or 12°34.56' It may confuse people.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

psyon wrote:I think the point was that when you type 12.3456 you just know that it's decimal degrees at a glance. If you type 12°34'56" or 12°34.56' It may confuse people.
Most of the time. Some people who don't cross-check their coordinates with the visual (imagery) depiction of where those coordinates plot out may still erroneously enter 12.3456 when their data was really 12°34.56'. Even co-workers who should know better sometimes make that mistake.