NAFHA opportunity

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chrish

NAFHA opportunity

Post by chrish »

I'm not sure how many of you have seen the posts about the 2013 Python challenge on the main forum.

You can read about the event here - http://pythonchallenge.org/python-challenge.aspx

My question is "Is this an opportunity for NAFHA to contribute and get some recognition?"

I don't know how many members we have in SoFlo. If I lived down there, I would be interested in teaming up with some of the "hunt" teams in order to go out, collect some data for the database, and help make sure that the animals being killed are burms. The mindset would have to be positive. We aren't there "to stop rednecks killing harmless snakes" but in fact to help the participants correctly identify Burmese Pythons.

Of course, I'm sure a lot of people who will be hunting would already know how to ID burms correctly, but there will be some groups that might need a free guide?
Or, do we put together a NAFHA team to compete?

Can we make this work for us as an institution?

(BTW - if you have comments about the ethics/efficacy of the challenge, those should go on the thread in the main forum. I'm just wondering here what NAFHA could do here.)
Chris Smith

Re: NAFHA opportunity

Post by Chris Smith »

I think this is a good opportunity! We have several So. FL herpers active in NAFHA. Hopefully a few will chime in.

-Chris S.
Shane_TX

Post by Shane_TX »

Can we make this work for us as an institution?
As an active approach of approval it should be avoided, strongly. Nothing wrong with participation but not under the NAFHA name.
but in fact to help the participants correctly identify Burmese Pythons
Bird hunters who are not ornithologists are able to identify their target of choice at a quick glance. And that requires more brainpower than having the opportunity to take a detailed look at the animal in question. Identification will not be a problem.

Shane
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

A good Idea Chris. You should post this question to the SE chapter directly. Many of them don't read what goes on here, unless they have too.

Fundad
JLURE

Post by JLURE »

I'd be very interested in teaming up with a team or someone. I live in SW Florida. I don't know how much I can contribute besides extra pair of eyes and hands with some muscle.
Please PM me or email me at [email protected]