Third Quarter 2016

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Adam Cooner

Third Quarter 2016

Post by Adam Cooner »

Time flies, and it's already time for a third quarter report. Work, family trips, and life in general have meant a slow-down in herping; however, I've managed to get out and see a few things over the summer.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

July

It had been four years since I'd seen a mud snake, and Frank, who some of you know from the field, had never seen one. We set out to a known locale in Autauga County, Alabama, with Chris Montross on Independence Day weekend. Without too much effort, Frank spotted our target on the crawl, and we spent the remainder of the evening trying to corral our unwilling subject for photos.

Mud Snake by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

Mud Snake by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

I walked a shallow creek in Jefferson County, Alabama, where it's not too difficult to turn up midland water snakes and queen snakes. This juvenile midland was the only find of the day.

Midland Water Snake by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

I can always count on this tupelo swamp in Perry County, Alabama, to produce a cottomouth or 6 (but very little else thus far).

Cottonmouth by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

Flipped under a log in Perry County, AL:

Red-spotted Newt by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

August

I made a trip to San Antonio, Texas, for a continuing education conference for work. I didn't have my own vehicle nor a lot of time for herping, but an old friend of Chris Montross and I managed to get out one evening and see a couple of snakes.

Plain-bellied Watersnake by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

Broad-banded Copperhead by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

September

I have only habitat/landscape shots to share for the month of September. Haley and I did a little hiking on our anniversary trip to Charleston, South Carolina, otherwise, I didn't really make it out much.

Francis Marion National Forest by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

Francis Marion National Forest by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

October

Given the lack of herps for September, I figured I'd go ahead and share an October 1 find. Robb Herrington and I cruised the Georgia Sandhills yesterday but came up empty on the Heterodon front. At a flip site, Robb salvaged the trip by flipping this mole king under a pine log.

Mole Kingsnake by Adam Cooner, on Flickr
Noah M

Re: Third Quarter 2016

Post by Noah M »

Thanks for sharing. It might have been slow, but it looks like you've found some neat things.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

Mudsnakes are fickle creatures, aren't they? They panic at the first sign of trouble.
simus343

Post by simus343 »

Very nice find with the MK under the pine log! It has been some time since I've done much log rolling, but it looks like I'll have to take it up again.
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

Beautiful shots and some cool snakes. Looking forward to the next time I'm in Alabama.
Thanks for sharing.
Nick
Barry R

Post by Barry R »

good stuff :thumb:
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Good stuff. That's a cool looking Mole King - I like the "muddy" ones.