HERPS OF TEXAS . ORG

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

MarcLinsalata

HERPS OF TEXAS . ORG

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Does anyone know who is in charge of this site and when it will be back up? I'll be coming through again in a month and this site was my favorite and a very useful guide last summer. I was pretty let down last week when I saw that this site was down for maintenance (or whatever). Anyone?

Marc
chrish

Re: HERPS OF TEXAS . ORG

Post by chrish »

It is run out of UT Austin. I believe David Cannatella or maybe Travis LaDuc is responsible for it. I'm not sure what the holdup is in its rerelease. I'm not sure why they had to take down the old one to update the new one?

The Inaturalist Herps of Texas project is OK for generating approximate range maps for some species. Also, Troy and Toby Hibbitts (et al) have just updated the field guides to all the Texas herps (except snakes for which Werler and Dixon is still the bible).
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Thanks for the reply, Chris! Yes, I'm not sure why they had to take the old site down either while updating. Oh well.

I've heard of Inaturalist but truth be told I never really checked it out but am going to check it out now. That old site was enjoyable, but I'm sure this one will suffice.

Thanks again -

Marc
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

chrish wrote:..............

The Inaturalist Herps of Texas project is OK for generating approximate range maps for some species. Also, Troy and Toby Hibbitts (et al) have just updated the field guides to all the Texas herps (except snakes for which Werler and Dixon is still the bible).
Thanks again, Chris! I've had my face glued to Google Earth and Inaturalist planning my upcoming trip. And I purchased BOTH books you suggested, and am on my way to sit poolside in Palm Springs for the next two days with my nose buried in them.

With that being said, I'm sure I will just turn up a bunch of DORS

:beer: :thumb:
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Marc, any chance you're going to attend Snake Days in Sanderson?
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Hi Chris M!

No, I will be avoiding that area like the plague. As fun as it would be to meet up with others from the forum or from NAFHA I don't enjoy the big group outings with herpers tripping over each other in the field or on the roads and what not. That's why I avoid the National meets as well and Arizona during monsoon season. I will certainly stop (planning to at least) in Sanderson a few weeks later (as I did last year), though. Good luck out there :) !

Marc
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

MarcLinsalata wrote:As fun as it would be to meet up with others from the forum or from NAFHA I don't enjoy the big group outings with herpers tripping over each other in the field or on the roads and what not.
I haven't had the experience of feeling that "crowded" at the previous four Snake Days...literally tens of thousands of square miles, with everyone going different directions. Occasionally I'll see another herpin' car or two but many times it's just my carload. Maybe I just head to the "wrong" spots... :lol: